Home Canned Apple Cake
Home “Canned” Apple Cake
- 1/3 Cup of shortening
- 1 1/3 Cups of granulated sugar
- 2 Eggs
- ½ tsp. of ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. of ground nutmeg
- ¾ tsp. of salt
- 1 tsp. of baking soda
- 1 ½ Cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/3 Cup of water
- 1 ½ cups of grated tart apples
- 1/3 Cup of raisins
- 1/3 Cup of chopped walnuts
- 4 wide mouth, pint canning jars (straight sided) with rings and lids
Preheat the oven to 325 F. and lightly grease inside of each jar.
- In a small bowl, sift together salt, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and shortening until mixture is fluffy and light.
- Add eggs and beat together thoroughly.
- Add flour and water alternately while beating and continue mixing until smooth.
- Gently fold in raisins, nuts, and apples.
- Fill each jar half full of batter, being careful to keep jar rims clean (clean off any excess that gets on jar rims)
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- While cakes are baking, sterilize the jar lids and rings in boiling water.
- When cakes are done, remove them one jar at a time. Carefully clean each jar rim and place lid and ring on jar, but don’t over tighten the ring.
- Place jars on a counter where there are no drafts and listen for the jars to seal as they cool (you’ll hear a “ping” sound as the seal). If you don’t hear it, when jar is completely cool, gently press down on lid. If it doesn’t give, the jar is sealed.
Once unsealed, cake should be eaten or stored in refrigerator for no more than a week. Sealed jars may be stored for as long as a year in a cool, dark space.